Rebuilding and Upgrading the Corvette L-48 Engine | Part 3

Mark at Sunrise Automotive called me this morning to let me know that the engine was back from the machine shop, in case I wanted to snap a few pics before they started spraying Eastwood Ceramic Chevy Orange on it.

I did, and glad I got to see it before they sprayed paint on it, as the motor looked squeaky clean with new water plugs and hardware. Mark—wanting to get it done—had already masked it so it was ready for paint.

I hung around for a little while since Billy, one of the mechanics at Sunrise, was ready to give the motor and clutch bellhousing a tack coat of Chevy Orange.

So I helped Mark cover the engine hoist with a tarp and masking paper, and the first coat of paint went on.

Before I left, I asked Mark how many coats of paint it would take to get good coverage, and he told me that three coats would do it.

Well, when he called me a few hours later to ask me to drop by again to see the finished product, he told me it took four coats of paint, but the engine and clutch bellhousing looks gorgeous.

He's going to let the paint cure over the weekend and then the car will be back at his shop on Wednesday. He hopes to have it running and all buttoned up by early the following week.

According to the engine builder, the motor is now rated at 310 hp at the crank, for an estimated 260 at the wheels. That sounds about right, but I may have it dynoed sometime in the future to get the actual number.

I can hardly wait to test drive this baby.

Stay tuned for the next update.

Thank you for following my '76 Vette Blog!

Product Links... (#sponsored)

How to Build Max-Performance SBC on a Budget

SBC: Stock and High-Performance Rebuilds
How to Rebuild Your Small-Block Chevy
Rebuilding the Small-Block Chevy
• How to Restore Your C3 Corvette: 1968-1982
• 1968-1982 Corvette Restoration Guide
• 1976 Corvette Service & Overhaul Manual
• 1976 Corvette Assembly Manual